Financial requirements

To be able to apply for a Tier 4 visa you must meet a minimum financial requirement. The UKVI require that you are able to pay for your programme fees and your living expenses (maintenance) for the first year of your programme.

 You will need to show the following:

 Your first/current year's tuition fees; and

  • Maintenance of £1,265 a month for each month of your course up to a maximum of nine months (if your course is one year or more in duration this will be £11,385).

You can show you have the funds in the following ways:

Using your own bank statement

If you are self-financed and using your own bank statements for your visa application, you will need to show the following:

  • That you have the total amount of money in cash funds in a bank account in your name (you can also use joint accounts where your name appears)

  • That the money has been in your bank account at all times for a period of at least 28 days. (The UKVI will use the most recent entry on your bank statement and count back 28 days)

  • That your bank statement is dated within a month of your application (i.e. no more than 30 days old)

  • That funds are in a 'cash' form. Shares, bonds, property or fixed deposit will not be accepted

You can supply the above information either using a bank statement or a letter from the bank. Whichever one you use they must state the following information on them:

  • Your name

  • The account number

  • The date of statement/letter

  • The financial institution's name and logo

  • The amount of money available

  • Confirmation that funds has been held for at least 28 days (if provide a bank letter).

If you only have online statement, they can be used if they contain all of the details listed above. However, you must also: 

Provide a letter from your bank on headed paper confirming that the statement are authentic, OR

  • Ask your bank to stamp your electronic statement with the official stamp of the bank. This stamp should appear on every page of the statement.

If you are using a Chinese Certificate of Deposit, it will only be accepted if it meets all the following requirements:

  • The certificate of deposit must have been issued within 31 days of the date of application;

  • At least 28 days must have elapsed between the date of the deposit and the date of issue of the certificate;

  • There must be no wording on the document which indicates the funds are frozen or otherwise inaccessible.

Your bank statement must be issued by a financial institution that accepted by the Home Office. Please check the lists of financial institutions that are accepted on the Home Office website.

Using your parents’ bank statement

If you are self-financed and using your parent's bank statement for your visa application, you must meet the same guidelines as stated above and in addition you must also provide the following: 

  • Your original birth certificate

  • A letter of parental consent confirming that this money will be used for your studies, and confirming the relationship between you.

Official translations of these documents must be included if not in English.

Your parent's bank statement must be issued by a financial institution that accepted by the Home Office. Please check the lists of financial institutions accepted on the Home Office website.

For further information on using funds provided by parent(s) or legal guardian(s), please click here and refer to the section: If you are using money held by your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) 

If the funds are in your local currency, please check and include the exchange rate on the OANDA website.

Using a loan

  • If you are providing a loan letter as evidence of maintenance, you can only obtain a letter from a regulated financial institution confirming that you have a loan that is provided by the national government, the state or regional government or a government sponsored Student Loan Company or that is part of an academic or educational loans scheme.

  • The loan must be held under your own name and the loan letter must be dated no more than 6 months before the date of your application. There must be no conditions on the release of the loan funds to you, other than your making a successful Tier 4 application.

  • If you are applying from overseas, the loan funds must be available to you before you travel to the UK, unless the loan is an academic/student loan from your country's national government; and will be released to you by your national government or your Tier 4 education provider when you arrive in the UK.

Financially sponsored

If you are financially sponsored by your government, an international company or another scholarship agency, you must provide a letter from your sponsor.

This should confirm the following details: 

  • Your name

  • The name and contact details of the official sponsor

  • The date of the letter

  • The length of sponsorship

  • The amount of money the sponsor is giving to the student or a statement that the students official financial sponsor will cover all of his/her fees and living costs

If your "official financial sponsor" is providing all of the funds for your course fees and maintenance, you do not have to provide separate evidence of your savings.

If your sponsors only pay SOME of your costs, you will need a letter from them AND proof that you have enough money yourself to meet the rest of the Maintenance Requirement, for example your personal bank statements.

Consent of current or previous official financial sponsor, if they are a government or an international scholarship agency

If you have an official financial sponsor for your proposed studies, and the sponsor is a government or an international scholarship agency, their sponsor letter (which you will need for evidence of your money, see below) should specifically state that they consent to your Tier 4 (General) application.

If you have previously received financial sponsorship from a government or international scholarship agency for your studies, and the sponsorship ended less than 12 months ago, you must also obtain and include a letter of consent from this financial sponsor.